Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Math Skills

Baby Girl got math flash cards for Christmas. Addition and Subtraction. She has been eager to get them out and play with them. Not sure how she would understand them, I was a little concerned with her frustration level. We began with her just reading the numbers. She knew there was more to it, so she was quickly asking what else you are supposed to do with them.

So, a few weeks later, I had her sit on the floor and use her blocks to count out each number and add them together. What made things fianlly "Click" for her though was counting it out with her fingers...the fingers, not the blocks, who knew! I haven't seen her pull out the cards lately, but when she goes back to them, I'll try some other counters...maybe beads and string...let her string the math together!! No rush, she's not even 4, so I am just laying the foundations...at her speed!

No comments:

Post a Comment