Thursday, January 27, 2011

Food Budget, Oxymoron?

For months, ok years, we have been trying hard to lower the amount of money we spend...on everything. Who isn't???

I have been focusing on trying to deal with the food bill. Step one - We stopped eating out at sit down resturants. Step two - then we stopped eating as much fast food. Now it is a rare treat (though I tend to pay for it in more ways than just with money)

When you "give up" eating out, you have other options - not eating or cooking. Ok, so not eating is really not an option I'd choose. I love food!! It's yummy!!! I have always enjoyed cooking. So I began focusing on finding the cheaper convinence foods. I only had a few recipes that I knew well and could get ready in a short amount of time. I was still spending more than I would have liked on food and only getting a few bags of groceries, not exactly the plan. I took to the internet for help. I have been trying all sorts of tips that I have come across. Keeping the ideas that work for me and tossing the ones that don't.

Some of the ideas that I have tried are:
  • shop only the perimeter of the store (produce, dairy, meat)
  • cook from scratch
  • have a meatless night
  • have a leftover night
  • take inventory
  • meal plan
  • keep the kitchen clean (surpresses the urge to throw in the towel and go out to eat)
  • keep a food price diary
  • coupons
  • price match
  • use it, don't toss it
These are just a few of the ideas that I have been trying or tossing...you'll have to keep checking in to see the outcomes and more ideas.

What are some things you do in your kitchen to cut down on food costs??

No comments:

Post a Comment